Dedicated to Community Service
The Amherst Club, founded in 1983, includes men and women living or working in the greater Amherst area who are linked by a common interest in enhancing the quality of life for themselves and their neighbors. Their efforts, aimed at community betterment, include supporting social service, cultural, and educational activities in the area.
Making New Friends
In addition to working on service-oriented projects (such as its annual fundraiser), members of The Amherst Club gather for luncheon meetings on most Tuesdays from 12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. At these meetings, members have an opportunity to get to know each other, and to ask questions of the speaker of the day. Members are welcome to bring guests, paying a fee for their lunches.
Luncheon notes containing announcements, a summary of the speaker’s address, and notices to members are emailed weekly to the Club membership. Members and their families gather occasionally for social activities such as pot-luck suppers, concerts, plays, and sporting events.
A Record of Giving
The community service work of The Amherst Club focuses on local needs. Monies raised go to worthy organizations which seek funds for specific projects, and whose applications for funds have been approved by the Club. Since its founding, the Club has given more than $295,000 to such groups.
• The Amherst Club holds a major philanthropic fundraiser each year. In recent years, this event has been Love Notes, a program of entertainment followed by a gala reception. Love Notes takes place on or around Valentine’s Day.
• In 2004, The Amherst Club established an Endowment Fund with the objective of serving the greater Amherst community well into the future. Bequests and contributions to the Endowment Fund are tax deductible and welcome at any time. Please contact the Club President for further information.
• The Amherst Club welcomes diversity among its members, and encourages civic-minded men and women living or working in the greater Amherst area to join. Members attend weekly luncheon meetings and demonstrate their concern for the community by devoting time and effort to the Club’s endeavors. Especially important is working on Love Notes, the Club’s annual fundraiser.
• Membership inquiries are welcome. Applications for membership, available from the Club President, are reviewed for approval by the Membership Committee and the Board of Directors.
• Membership dues cover the costs of operating the Club, primarily the Tuesday lunches enjoyed by members. Dues are billed quarterly as follows:
Full Membership: $100 per quarter
Associate Membership: $30 per quarter
Guest Luncheon Fee: $13 per luncheon
Full membership includes all luncheons.
Associate status is an option for members who know that they will be unable to attend Tuesday meetings regularly. Dues for Associate Members include one lunch per quarter. These members attend additional luncheons by paying the guest fee.
Serving Each Year
The Amherst Club is headed by a Board of Directors elected annually by the membership. All members are encouraged to serve on committees and the Board over the course of their membership, volunteering for positions that make best use of their talents and interests.
The current Amherst Club President is Hub Smith. If you have a question about the Club, are interested in attending a luncheon, or might like to become a member, you can reach him by by email at , or by writing:
President, Hub Smith
The Amherst Club, Inc.
P.O. Box 2002
Amherst, MA 01004-2002